Creating with ICT: Level 3
Generate solutions to challenges and learning tasks:
Create and modify simple digital solutions, creative outputs or data representation/transformation for particular purposes.
Year 4 English
Content Description – Literature – Creating Literature: Create literary texts by developing storylines, characters and settings.
Content Description – Literacy – Creating Texts: Use software including word processing programs with growing speed and efficiency to construct and edit texts featuring visual and print elements.
Content Description – Literacy – Creating Texts:: Plan, draft and publish imaginative texts demonstrating increasing control over text structures and language features and selecting multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose.
Students used Bitstrip Comics to create an original story in a comic (graphic novel) format. A setting was established. Characters were defined and the story followed a logical sequence.
Characters, layout, scenes, props and manipulation of software features contribute to the communication of meaning and support the text in each panel.
Through a study of the Tintin Books by Herge the characteristics of the graphic novel were identified. This learning was applied to the writing and illustrating of an original graphic novel.
- Setting is established.
- Characters are defined.
- Story follows a logical sequence.
- Characters, layout, scenes, props and Bitstrip controls contribute to the communication of meaning and support the text in each panel.
Elements of ICT Capability
Applying social and ethical protocols and practices when using ICT
- Applying digital information security practices
- Students use class login to Bitstrip Comics site then individual login to their work area where work is undertaken and saved.
Creating with ICT
- Generate ideas, plans and processes
- Plan a storyboard that will guide the online development of the graphic novel.
- Generate solutions to challenges and learning are tasks.
- Create and edit text using speech bubbles and captions to develop a story sequence into present tense.
- Create or edit characters, objects and scenery to convey meaning through movement and setting.
Communicating with ICT
- Collaborate, share and exchange
- Publish the graphic novel to a known audience on the school intranet in Our Little Dazzlers
- Post the graphic novel to an unknown audience on the Bitstrip Comics site.
Managing and operating ICT
- Use hardware and software
– Students used Bitstrip Comics, developing the following skills:
- Insert and manipulate characters provided in the application portraying movement posture and expression
- Insert objects and scenery.
- Insert and manipulate speech bubbles such that they relate to characters or scenes.
- Export file to both PDF and HTML format.